Just because Thanksgiving is over that does NOT mean that pumpkin pie season is over. Quick backstory to my pie making, I had signed up to make pumpkin pie for my temples’s Thanksgiving brunch. We are all vegetarian and do not eat eggs, so I went to the internet to find a recipe. I found this one from the Food Network, I’ve made this twice now and the second time I put my own spin on it. This is my version:
I cheated…. I bought a crust. This is the Keebler graham cracker crust and I loved this crust. It make the cake light and added a bit of sweetness.
- One 15oz pumpkin puree
- 8oz tofu (I only had semi firm so I used it and it was fine)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (this is a very strong spice and the original recipe was asking for a shit load. It will over power the pie trust me, so use wisely)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt (I like the pink Himalayan one)
This is so easy. Literally the easiest pie to make. EVER. Why? Food processors. If you do not own one and have one of those bullet blenders things sitting around USE IT NOW. You can also mash everything together with a fork…but that is too much work for me.
BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 350°F. DO IT NOW!
- Add that tofu to you beloved food processor and blend. Blend till it looks smooth. Make sure you scrape the sides with a silicone spatula just to make sure everything gets blended evenly. Its fine it there are some lumps they will get blended out.
- Add that pumpkin puree and give it another go in that beautiful machine…
- Add in the cornstarch, sugar, vanilla extract, and spices…
- Blend again. You should end up with something that looks like this…
- Then just put it in the crust, and into that preheated oven.
- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, BAKE IT FOR 60 MINUTES. The original recipe says for about 45 minutes. No. Giving the pie a full hour gives the tofu time to bake. This means you end up with a nice firm pie not a runny mess.
- Let the pie cool for about a half hour. Then enjoy!!!!
I like to add a bit of whipped cream on the top.
Welp that was it.
Go make it and let me know what you think.
Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @kokoloveshchanel *cough cough self promo cough cough*